Friday, June 3, 2011

Freak Factor

The article “Freak Factor” is a list of suggestions of how to overcome various weaknesses in life that may come up and how to address them when they do.

I think that the first suggestion of “What’s Your Problem?” is a great one.  Before going in to job interviews I know the first thing that will be asked, or if not, one of the early questions, will be what are your strengths and weaknesses?  I like to think this question through before going in and it really helps.  Instead of fixing my weaknesses I like to build my strengths, as I think if I am good at one thing it may overshadow the bad qualities that I have.  Of course, this is not always true and I go about it based on the situation.  I think that this step allows for a good chance at self review and allows for character building.  It is one of the most important questions one can ask themselves.
The fourth rule goes hand in hand with my previous answer to rule number one, “What’s Your Problem?” and it is “Forget It: Don’t Try to Fix Your Weaknesses.”  I agree that it is a waste of time to try to fix things that can’t be fixed or won’t really matter for all the time you put into fixing them.  I think that fixing a weak area is a hopeless cause and shouldn’t be recommended.  Why spend time on fixing your social skills if you are going to be working in a field all alone or vice versa: why work on something you don’t need?  It makes no sense whatsoever.  I think that working on strengths is the best bet at finding a great job that you love someday.  I hope to build on my strengths and do good in media.  That will make me the most happy.
I agree with rule number eight as well, which is “Freak: the Power of Uniqueness.”  This suggestion is really good, as all innovation is the result of a mutation from the norm that is introduced into the world and gains notoriety because of how unique it is.  Doing something different gets you noticed and if people like the unique idea will go for it and invest in it.  Being unique means you stand out from the crowd and that is not a bad thing.  Blending in will make you bland and show that you have nothing to offer to the world.  That is why I try my hardest to stand out in everything I do, from movie ideas even to the way I edit behind the scenes footage, like I did for the movie Getting There.
I think my weaknesses in the Creative Process are explaining my ideas, a problem I have had for a while. I think everyone thinks like me, so it is hard for me to explain to others what I have in mind.  My strengths are probably that I am good at thinking outside of the box.  I like to do things that other people don’t think of, especially in the way I edit and when I direct photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment